There has been lots of debate recently about staff in the care industry and nursing homes wearing uniforms. It’s an important factor in provides the residents with a clear understanding of staff members especially with those with dementia and helps with in identification, professionalism and hygiene.
When it comes to any uniform worn in the health industry, in addition to being safe and practical, it can:
- Project a professional image to encourage public trust and confidence
- Allow patients and the public to easily identify members of staff. Different colours can be used to distinguish different roles, and seniority, amongst staff
- Contribute to the corporate image that health care professionals, and their employers, wish to present
- Stand up to the constant washing and drying demanded of people working in the profession for hygiene reasons – guidelines say uniform fabrics must be capable of withstanding water temperatures of at least 60C and tumble drying.
- Take into account staff safety issues and provide the wearer with mobility and comfort.
Staff wearing bright uniforms can also have a positive effect in care homes as it can brighten up the environment and is welcomed by many residents.
“Research into colour psychology shows that bright colours can have a positive effect on staff and service users so with help from local school children we developed a rainbow collar on different brightly coloured tops.” Janet Rowse, Chief Executive, Sirona Care & Health.
The results from studies have clearly showed that uniforms reduced confusion in the elderly and did generate more confidence as the staff appeared more professional when wearing uniforms. the different uniforms denoted different grades of staff and visitors and patients knew who to speak to regarding the different questions they needed to ask.
Buccaneer Promotions have a huge range of workwear available for the health sector from formal nursing tunics and dresses to popular scrub suit style uniforms in a range of fabrics. Some of these can allow the workers to feel comfortable without looking too clinical. These are can be branded to suit the care homes image and professionalism. To view our Healthcare Workwear on our website click here or if you’d like to discuss your requirements please call us on 01606 212 817